In 1968, the Tamil Nadu State Government requested the institution to take over the responsibility of implementing the National Leprosy Control Program in Gudiyatham Taluk (which included the present Katpadi Taluk) which was highly endemic for leprosy with prevalence rate of 15 per 1000.
SIHR & LC apart from excellence in treatment and Research it had excelled in the field of training in the yester years. Various training modules were prepared to impart training to manage the leprosy control programmes. The State and Central Governments approved the following training courses as proposed by this institution during 1976:-
- Ophthalmic aspects of leprosy … 1 week
- Shoe makers course … 4 months
- Prosthetic Technicians course … 8 months
- Physiotherapy Technician course … 9 months
- Smear Technician Course … 4 months
- Special course in BI and MI for qualified
Laboratory Technicians … 1 month
- Laboratory Technician c ourse … 12 months
- Para Medical Worker’s course … 6 months
- Non Medical Supervisors course … 2 months
- Health Educators course … 2 months
- Medical Officers condensed course … 1 week
- Medical Officers, DLOs, SLOs, course … 6 weeks course
- Training of Trainers course … 1 week
Since 1977 these courses were offered by SIHR&LC, primarily for individuals and personnel sponsored by the Central and State Governments, International Leprosy Organizations, WHO and from Voluntary Organizations involved in leprosy and general health care services. Medical and Non Medical personnel from many of the South East Asian countries were trained by our institution.
Training Courses Offered:
With the introduction of Multi Drug Therapy and subsequent Integration of leprosy eradication programme in to General Health Care in the year 1997 into general health care system the demand for the Allied Health Personnel to work in the health field was very high. Hence our institution has started the following AHS training programmes aimed at training quality health care workers.
- Medical Record Technology since 1995
- Medical Laboratory Technology Course since 1978
- Diploma in General Nursing since 2001
- Certificate in Community Geriatric Care since 2001
- Diploma in Radio Diagnosis Technology since 2008
- Diabetic care and Podiatry education since 2017
Under graduate program approved by The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai since 2011:-
No. of Seats Approved
- B.Sc. Medical Record Science … 5
- Laboratory Technology … 10
- Radio Diagnosis Technology … 5
- Orthotics and Prosthetics … 10
- Optometry Technology … 5
- Physician Assistant … 5
- Medical Sociology … 15
Rehabilitation Council of India approved Courses:-
- B.Sc. Degree Course in Prosthetics and Orthotics of 4 years duration with intake of 25 per year from 2013-2014.
Central Government approved Training Programs(by arrangement):
- Medical Officers Course in leprosy
- Special Course for District Leprosy Officers / State Leprosy Officers in Management of leprosy activities
- Training of Trainers Course
Karigiri Leprosy Education Programme(KLEP) Series:
- Produced VCDs on various aspects / topics in leprosy and was distributed to all Medical Colleges in India and institutions involved in leprosy field
- Published book-lets on various topics / aspects in leprosy
Training for Medical students:
Special training programmes in leprosy have been organized for Medical students in their Colleges itself. A team of faculty from Karigiri consist of Specialists and Allied Health Professionals conduct this training for 3 days. This training was conducted at the request of Director of Medical and Family Welfare, TN.
Apart from these formal courses, many informal, special tailor made courses in leprosy were conducted at the request of State and Central Governments; focusing the following categories of Government / NGos: Medical Officers, District Leprosy Officers and State Leprosy Officers Field Publicity Officers, Public Health Staff, Physiotherapists, Health Educators and other allied health professionals in India.
- To provide a center for the training of medical and paramedical personnel in all disciplines required for the proper management of leprosy and other identified health issues from time to time.
- Offer quality-training programs relevant at the national and international levels, emphasizing Christian values.
- To provide quality training to the students in the Allied Health Science undergraduate programmes approved by the University and other Boards like RCI, CMAI, etc.
- Selection of students according to the set policies of the institution for various training programmes.
- Prepare time tables and schedules for various training programs and ensure its proper implementation
- Coordinate and over see the smooth conduct of the training programs conducted at Karigiri.
- Conduct evaluation of training programmes conducted by the instittion to maintain the quality education.
- Act as Liaison to the University and Boards to implement the training programmes without any hindrance.
- Conduct tailor made training programs according to the needs of Government / NGOs.
- Arrange Inservice training program for trained allied health science professionals.
- Collaborate with Elective students from abroad and assist in their projects
- Entertain Visitors/ Observers and get them oriented to institutional activities.
1 Mr.M. David Prakash Kumar BPT, MPT, PGDPT, M.Sc. (Med. Sociology) – Principal
2 Mrs. Selvi Julious B.Sc. (N), M.Sc. (N) – Principal, School of Nursing
3 Mr. N. Christopher Vethakan M.A., PGDHA – Registrar
4 Mr.J. Naveen Kumar, PGDHA,MSW – Admin. Assistant
5 Mrs.P. Sangeetha M.Sc. (Com. Science) – Web Supervisor
6 Ms. A.J. Gunavathy B.A., B.Ed.
- Accredited with The Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai
- Accredited with Christian Medical Association of India, New Delhi
- Accredited with Rehabilitation Council of India, New Delhi