Names of the Doctors and Technicians:
Dr. G. Lakshmi Rajan, MBBS, DCP, MD (Path),
Dr. Joyce Ponnaiya, MBBS, MD (Path),
Dr. G. Ridhi,
Mrs. Esther Reuben, , Mr. R. Soundara Rajan, Mrs. P. Yamuna, Mr. Asgar Sheriff, Mr. M. Gokul, Mr. Neppolian, Mr. Vishnu Murthy, Mr. Nandha Kumar, Mr. Vijay Kumar, Mrs. Lekshmy MS, Mrs. Esther Rita David.
Branch of Laboratories
The Branch of Laboratories, established in 1958 as Department of Pathology, now offers diagnostic services, training programmes and research in experimental pathology and molecular biology.
Pioneers in Laboratory Research
Dr. Charles Kamalam Job, the founder of the department has been honoured with several awards for his services to leprosy research, and much of his work was carried out at Karigiri. He has received many awards including the Damien –Dutton award in 1993, and the Lifetime Achievement Award of the Indian Association of Leprologist in 2010. He continues to advise and guide the department, especially in research activities.
In 1963, during the 90th Anniversary celebrations of The Leprosy Mission International, Dr. Job was given an electron microscope for his research. This was placed in CMC Vellore, so that other scientists could also make use of this equipment. Path breaking work on the ultra structure of nerve involvement in leprosy was made possible. From its inception, the department has worked in close cooperation with the clinical units and has been recognized for diagnostic services in leprosy and research.
Services in the Laboratory:
- The Histopathology laboratory renders the histopathology and cytology services to clinical departments inside the hospital, the Leprosy Mission Hospitals and other nearby Hospitals.
- The routine investigations are carried out in the Clinical Pathology, Biochemistry and Microbiology laboratories.
- The external quality control program for the Biochemistry ensures the high quality of laboratory test results from our lab.
- The laboratory is also facilitated to do Skin smears for AFB and runs external and internal control programs.
- Till date 20,812 clinical pathology tests, 23,657 Biochemistry tests, 1242 Histopathological investigations and 1794 slit skin smear examinations have been done.
The laboratory also has state of art facilities for conducting mouse experiments. The experimental laboratory with CBA mice and Thymectomized animals play an important role in the current research programs. Mouse foot pad studies are ongoing for drug sensitivity and viability. Strains of Mycobacterium leprae resistant to DDS, Rifampicin, and Clofazimine are being maintained.
Evaluation of the bacterial activity of new drugs and drug combinations in mice model; Funding Body: Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR); duration: 2010-2013.
The Department runs Diploma and Bachelors in Laboratory Technology. For further details, follow the link: Training Unit.